At Tomatin, we are more than just another distillery. Since 1897 our people have worked hard to build the Tomatin community that exists today and lies at the heart of everything we do. Many of our employees live on site in the distillery houses. It is more than just a job, it is a way of life. This in turn is reflected in the quality of the different whiskies produced at the distillery; every bottle of whisky we make is distilled with pride.
Once the biggest distillery in Scotland, we were capable of producing 12 million litres every year. We now produce just over 2 million with a focus on quality over quantity. The distillery offers a portfolio of single malt and blended whiskies including the Tomatin single malt, Cù Bòcan single malt, The Antiquary premium blended whisky, an array of whisky blends including The Talisman and Big ‘T’, as well as where it all began, with bulk whisky. We have gone from strength to strength and our whiskies are now sold in over 60 export markets.
Reporting to the Visitor Centre Manager, you will assist in managing the Visitor Centre and team, including Team Leaders and Distillery Guides to ensure quality and consistency in all aspects of the Visitor Centre and Tomatin Visitor experience.
- Assist the VC Manager to undertake a range of HR activities including recruitment, rotas, wages, general staff management.
- Contributing to the development and delivery of staff training and assessing guided tours and tastings.
- Assisting the VC Manager to organise, prepare for, and attend events and meeting internally and externally as required.
- Attending Sales/Marketing meetings and providing updates on Visitor Centre activities to other departments.
- Liaising with Tomatin distillery management team.
- To inform and entertain the public during tours, tastings and whilst serving in the shop – delivering a consistently high standard of customer service and always ensuring a quality visitor experience.
- Ensuring that the Visitor Centre and public routes are accessible, well presented, and efficiently organised at all times.
- Responsible key holder, opening and closing up.
- Cash handling, count floats, monitor floats and safe, cashing up, banking.
- Personal License holder, delivering licensing training and refresher training to other Tomatin staff and updating training folder as required.
- Stock control, stock takes, chits, identifying items to be ordered and assisting with ordering.
- Replying to e-mails and phonecalls, maintaining booking diary.
- Taking VIP tours as required.
- Representing the brand at external events and tastings.
- Managing the Visitor Centres social media accounts.
The above duties and responsibilities are not an exhaustive list and you will be expected to perform different tasks commensurate with your role and as necessitated by your role within the organisation and the overall business objectives of the organisation. For developmental or operational reasons this role may occasionally contain some elements of work that re either more or less demanding than described above.
- Competent IT user and experienced in suite of Microsoft packages.
- Demonstrable experience in a Visitor Centre, Tourist attraction or Hospitality management role.
- Experience of managing/supervising a team of people.
- Experience of working in an environment with high customer service standards.
- Experience of working in the whisky or drinks sector.
Skills and Abilities
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including ability to effectively communicate with internal and external customers.
- Good organisational skills.
- Must be able to work under pressure and meet deadlines, while maintaining a positive attitude and providing exemplary customer service.
This role will be based at Tomatin Distillery and will require to work 5 days a week over a 7 day period including some weekends.
Salary will be competitive and commensurate with experience.
If you are interested in joining this growing business and feel you would be an ideal candidate for this role, please send your CV to [email protected] with details of your current remuneration package and notice period.
Closing date for receipt of applications is Friday 1st July 2022.